September 2011 to January 2015
Queen’s University, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada
Juris Doctor (JD)
- McCarthy Tetrault LLP Scholarship in Legal Ethics (2015)
- C. Thomas Asplund Memorial Award (2015): awarded annually to a second or third year student for outstanding work in the area of legal ethics
- Highest standing in Legal Ethics & Professionalism (2014)
- The Beresford-Knox Scholarship in Law (2011): awarded annually to an outstanding psychology graduate entering into law.
- Founded Law Students for Technology & Innovation
May 2013 to April 2014
Queen’s University, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Beta Gamma Sigma Admission (2014): awarded to students in top 10% of an MBA class.
- Derek Russell Award for Excellence in Operations & Information Technology (2014): awarded to a Queen’s MBA student for academic excellence and demonstrated leadership.
University of Waterloo, located in Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Bachelor of Arts, Honours Psychology and Business Co-op
- Full-time student; completed six 4-month long accredited co-op terms.
- Dean’s Honours List: cumulative grade point average of 86.37%.
- Heidi-Thiessen Memorial Award for Student Writing (2009): recognizes undergraduate students from Ontario universities that demonstrate outstanding work in technical communication.
August 2015 – June 2016; May 2014 – August 2014
Devry Smith Frank LLP, located in North York, Ontario Canada
Articling & Summer Law Student
- Performed legal research for corporate, civil litigation, insolvency, insurance, municipal, planning, and tax lawyers.
- Presented on “Legal Issues in Public Construction” at the Federated Press’s 6th Annual Procurement Law Course in September 2015.
- Drafted statements of claim, discovery plans, correspondence, facta, and motion materials for litigation in the Superior Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
- Attended the Superior Court of Justice on contested, uncontested, and consent motions.
- Carried small claims court files: assisted in initial client interviews, set client expectations, drafted and filed claims, set tickler reminders, reviewed pre-bills, negotiated at settlement conferences, and followed up on unpaid bills.
- Marketed firm’s legal services by writing articles and developing a positive online presence.
- Negotiated with opposing counsel by written correspondence, telephone, and in person at settlement conferences.
Other Work Experience
May 2011 – August 2012
Sole Proprietorship, located in Toronto, Ontario Canada
Small Business Consultant
After performing marketing and sales development services for businesses throughout university, I decided to work with my own clients on a freelance contract basis. I worked with several small employers on management projects their executive leadership targeted as priorities.
Performed a five-year financial analysis, projecting growth and describing how the business fundamentals had changed over time. Filmed and edited promotional videos. Modified supplier agreements to reduce costs. Audited leases the business had signed, and identified obligations that had to be met before selling the business. Designed websites. Created cost-effective search engine optimization (SEO) strategy.
September 2010 – December 2010
General Dynamics Canada, located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Contracts Administrator – Commercial Services
General Dynamics Canada provides technology-based electronic systems, systems integration, and in–service support to defence organizations and public security markets in Canada and abroad.
Led a website redesign project from requirements gathering to launch. Designed and delivered a marketing and communications campaign to ensure successful adoption of the new website across the organization (including marketing copy and information sessions).
May 2010 – August 2010
VeloCity, located in Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Residence Life Don
VeloCity is known as the “entrepreneurship residence” at the University of Waterloo. In partnership with the Accelerator Center, students are provided resources and professional contacts in Waterloo’s technology community to help get their ideas off the ground.
Supported students’ academic and professional goals by cultivating a spirit of community and teamwork in the building. Led team building activities and skill development sessions. Organized events and maintained residence standards within the community.
January 2010 – April 2010
SpeechBobble Inc, located in Toronto, Ontario Canada
Speechbobble Inc. creates custom software as a service (SAAS) solutions for businesses to help them communicate, collaborate and innovate using the power of social media. Speechbobble is a software development firm, and also offers social media strategy consulting services to firms in the private and public sector.
Analyzed social media space (competitors, expert blogs, Twitter) to capture opportunities for product development. Created User Interface (UI) wireframes and drawings to make products more intuitive and easy to use. Created marketing copy, training manuals, MS PowerPoint presentations, interactive PDFs and user guides. Recruit prospective employees and represent company interests at relevant social media events.
May 2009 – August 2009
SOMOS Consulting Group, located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Sales and Marketing Assistant
SOMOS Consulting Group Ltd. is a dynamic management consulting and training company located in Toronto and Ottawa, Canada. SOMOS sub-contracts Project Management and IT consultants to large projects in the public and private sectors, and offers training services that can lead to Project Management Professional (PMP) and PRINCE2 certification.
Wrote proposals, completed administrative tasks, and resourced candidates for sub-contracting opportunities. Contacted consultants by email and phone to assess availability. Drafted custom resumes for bid proposals in Microsoft Word 2007. Drafted and managed a large response to a top secret government issued RFP, which was submitted on time, fully compliant, and won the bid. Wrote marketing material, managed online content and maintained Lotus Notes/Domino database.
September 2008 – December 2008
President’s Choice Financial MasterCard, located in Toronto, Ontario Canada
President’s Choice Financial MasterCard is a credit card service owned by Loblaw Companies Limited that offers low cost personal credit services, combined with the highly popular PC Points loyalty rewards system.
Researched and analyzed customer service operations using back-end CSR management tools, Bi-Query, Hummingbird and MS Excel 2007. Created call center operations manuals and procedures using MS Word 2007, audited customer transactions and managed content using Sharepoint.
January 2008 – April 2008
Mercer Financial Solutions, located in Toronto, Ontario Canada
Mercer is the global leader for trusted HR and related financial advice, products and services. Mercer makes a positive impact by enhancing the financial and retirement security, health, productivity and employment relationships of the global workforce.
Created documentation in MS Word 2003, including user guides, small graphics, quick reference guides, and online web-help for multiple programs. Updated user manuals and drafted letters as required. Communicated with software developers to translate complicated programming concepts into simple user-friendly descriptions. Developed training materials to introduce new staff to Mercer visual standards and styles.
May 2007 – August 2007
Seneca College of Applied Arts and Sciences, located in Toronto, Ontario Canada.
English as a Second Language Tutor
Engaged students one on one and in a classroom environment to help develop English language speaking, reading and writing skills. Helped correct grammar mistakes, and developed personalized lessons to overcome individual challenges. Ran conversation classes with groups of students, moderating and chairing discussions when necessary. Projected a friendly, patient and professional demeanor with students at all times.
January 2014 – April 2014
Queen’s Tri-Colour Venture Fund
- Performed due diligence on two potential venture capital investible companies.
- Developed qualifying criteria, rating systems, and weighting to evaluate applications for funding.
May 2013 – March 2014
Queen’s School of Business
Vice President, Business Development
- Developed a sales funnel to convert high-impact prospects into speakers and sponsors.
- Fostered long-term relationships between local community, industry executives, and students.
- Raised $10,000 in sponsorship funding.
June 2013 – December 2013
H’Art School of Smiles
- Assisted art school for adults with intellectual disabilities to secure municipal arts council funding.
- Counseled fundraising manager on marketing materials, positioning, and fundraising strategy.
September 2012 – Present
Queen’s Faculty of Law
Founder, Law Students for Technology and Innovation (LFTI)
Created a student organization devoted to discovering new ways to learn and practice the law. Recruited executives, secured funding, clarified a vision, and set annual goals. Led fundraising efforts for legal technology panel called the Future of Legal Practice in Canada. Managed and delegated resources to team projects.
September 2012 – Present
Queen’s Department of Chemical Engineering, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada
Technology, Engineering and Management (TEAM) Project
Led a team of chemical engineering students to complete an eight-month project for an energy sector industry partner.
Conducted research on intellectual property, product liability, and legal risk of modular eco-friendly work camp design.
TEAM project website is here.
September 2012 – Present
Canadian Labour & Employment Law Journal, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada.
Trained and led a volunteer editorial team to prepare articles for academic publication.
Coordinated deadlines, volunteer schedules, and client edits to create the best final product possible.
Queen’s Law Faculty, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada
Research and Editorial Assistant
Formatted a 230-page article using American Bluebook (19th edition) citation style.
Ensured consistent spelling, format, table of contents, headers, pagination, and bibliography.
January 2012 – April 2012
Queen’s Elder Law Clinic, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada
Researched laws on Powers of Attorney for the Kingston Council on Aging’s new information booklet.
September 2011 – April 2012
Queen’s Law Journal, located in Kingston, Ontario Canada
Edited academic submissions for proper formatting, spelling, and grammar.
Ensured submissions rigidly adhered to McGill Guide (7th edition) legal citation standards.
January 2009 – April 2011
Imprint Student Newspaper, located in Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Wrote and edited articles on saving money and networking for a large circulation of readers.
Skills and Interests
Fitness enthusiast: running, resistance training, mountain biking, Nordic skiing and kayaking
Personal finance and investing, particularly in capital markets.
Networking and social media: LinkedIn and Twitter (Twitter handle is @CanadianLawGuy).